The cervical disc replacement was first designed
to answer the problem of increased motion at the adjacent level caused by cervical
fusion. The increased motion after a
fusion caused a high rate of adjacent level disc deterioration. Proponents of
cervical artificial disc replacement believe that preserving motion within the
damaged vertebral segment could allow the spine to restore its balance and
maintain more natural mechanics, and may decelerate degeneration in adjacent
vertebral segments in the spine over time. Cervical Total Disc Replacement provides US
spine surgeons a clinically proven alternative to fusion surgery for the
treatment of intractable symptomatic cervical disc disease. Spinal fusion is intended to relieve pain by
eliminating motion at the diseased vertebral segment, but it can create spinal
imbalance, alter the biomechanics of the spine, and increase stresses and
motion in adjacent vertebral segments that may accelerate further degeneration. The cervical Total Disc Replacement provides
the potential to restore motion at that level and maintain normal motion at
San Antonio cervical disc ProDisc C replacement by Dr. Guy Fogel - 210.251.3671
Cervical Disc Replacement Preserves Motion
Motion preservation of the cervical spine is recognized as a breakthrough in
spine surgery, and is expected to make a significant impact in the United States.
Dr. Guy Fogel of San Antonio can provide the minimally invasive procedure known
as a Cervical Disc Replacement.
Cervical Disc Surgical Procedure
The Disc Replacement is implanted in the cervical spine through a small incision
in the patient’s neck. – During the Disc Replacement procedure, the surgeon
removes the diseased intervertebral disc, decompresses the neurological elements
and inserts a disc implant into the disc space.
Results of Cervical Disc Replacement:
- Hospital stay 1 day
- Blood loss 5 cc
- Disc height restored
- Spondylolisthesis improved
- Pain: 8.3 improved to 2.4
- Return Work 2 wks full time
- Good and Excellent Outcomes 94%
- Complications of Pro Disc
- Incidence of secondary surgery was 1.9% in Disc replacement—4 times less than with fusion
- Any patient with severe arm or neck pain could be treated with implant removal and fusion.
- Product Description
The ProDisc-C Total Disc Replacement is similar to joint replacement devices
that have been successfully used for many decades. The ProDisc-C implant is
comprised of three components: two metal endplates separated by a medical
grade plastic core. The endplates are made of cobalt chrome alloy (CoCrMo)
and the plastic core is ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE).
The implant materials have proven biocompatibility in the body. These materials
have been used in spinal disc replacement for over two decades and are the
most commonly used materials in knee and hip replacements.
Advantages of Cervical Disc Replacement over Fusion
The ProDisc-C Total Disc Replacement was determined to be safe and effective for the treatment of intractable symptomatic cervical disc disease (SCDD) by the FDA.
- ProDisc-C patients demonstrated a significant improvement in pain and disability, and required fewer re-operations than ACDF patients.
- Patients receiving the ProDisc-C Total Disc Replacement demonstrated a mean range of motion of 9.4° at the 24 month follow-up.
- Only surgeons who have completed an intensive training program can implant the ProDisc-C Total Disc Replacement